The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Cairo University was the country's first veterinary school. The history of the faculty dates back to 1827, when Egypt's first veterinary school opened in the Rashid neighborhood (Lower Egypt). The goal of the school was to teach soldiers how to look after army horses and rice mill animals. The school had ten students at the time, who were taught by two foreign teachers (French).
To be closer to the school of medicine, the school of veterinary medicine was moved from Rashid to Abu Zaabal in Qalyubia in 1831, and then to Kasr-Alainy in Giza in 1839. Because there were only French professors at the time, instruction was given in French, but an interpreter provided Arabic interpretation.
The veterinary school was closed under the reign of Khedive Abbas, then reopened for a short time before closing again due to financial difficulties between 1881 and 1901. In 1914, the school of veterinary medicine was affiliated with the ministry of agriculture, and it moved to its current location on Gamaa Street in Giza in 1921. In 1923, it was given to the Ministry of Education, and in 1938, it was given to the Egyptian University. It has been recognized as the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine since 1946.
As a result of continuous expansion in the faculty departments and educational systems, as well as an increase in the number of students and staff members, extensions of the faculty, new faculty buildings, were created behind the farms of the Faculty of Agriculture beginning in 1962.These buildings hold the faculty administration, clinical departments, and various other departments. The faculty just completed the building of modern structures such as halls, labs, and student libraries (1995).
Ministerial Decision No. 45, dated 8/1/1998, authorized the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Cairo University, to issue an internal bylaw for credit hour undergraduates, to be applied to first-year new students commencing in the academic year 2000/2001.
The faculty accredited by the National Authority for Quality Assurance of Education and Accreditation at 2014 and renewed at 2019.